REBEL MAMA REAL TALK PART FIVE

All the media we’ve garnered lately with our Handbook for (Cool) Moms has required us to explain what a “Rebel Mama” is – a lot. Normally we’ll launch into the elevator pitch, rife with phrases like: a woman who is unapologetically herself, one who doesn’t let society define who she is once she becomes a…

THIS IS NOT A BOOK TOUR RECAP

I came here today to write a post about the second leg of our book tour: Chicago with a bonus 2-day-1-night stint in NYC*. I was going to tell you all about how wonderful our event was at Monica & Andy in Lincoln Park – about how awesome all the new mamas we met there…

10 THINGS I’D RATHER DO THAN PLAY

I came across this article the other day about the importance of playing with our kids, even if we hate it. The author cites enjoying playing with her kids 90% of the time, and imagining a slow death the other 10%. I call bullshit. More like 40 / 60 if you wanna be real. I…

A NOTE TO THE (PREGNANT) DUCHESS

Dear Duchess, Damn, girl – Mazel tov! As our favourite royal ever, we are super pumped that you have chosen to procreate with our second favourite royal ever. May you, your man, and your future offspring continue to make that whole palace cooler simply by existing within it. We wanted to write you a little…

PORTRAIT OF A WOMAN: A CELEBRATION OF (REBELLIOUS) TORONTO MOTHERS

Not too long ago, our friend Kayla Rocca (who happens to be one of the most brilliant and most highly sought after photographers in the city #girlpower) reached out to us with an idea to shoot a series that celebrates new mamas, and women. A few of her friends recently had babies and being the…

LOSING MACCABEE

Written by: Karen Nussbaum   Did you know that October 15th is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day? Don’t feel bad if you didn’t. It’s a day that no woman, mother, or family should ever have to commemorate, but sadly, many of us do. Seven out of every one thousand births results in a stillbirth,…

DIRTY MAGIC IN NYC (PHOTO RECAP)

#mamasontour * Making shit happen is unglamorous, uncomfortable, and unpredictable. New York City can be all of those things too, but there is literally no better place in the world to go to test your hustle. We’re talking rats, pigeons, pigeon-rats and serendipitous run-ins. We’re talking lugging books 27 stops on the New York subway,…

FILTHY TURKEY

I’ve had the same best friends since grade 9.  The three of us have maintained a tight bond; following one another through high school and university and now living within an hour of one another.  It’s a tight little family we have created with love and determination. One thing I have been lucky to learn…

HATCH + ANI & WREN EVENT // PHOTO RECAP

Last Thursday morning we had the good fortune to have been invited to sit around with a bunch of brilliant powerhouse women to chat about motherhood, entrepreneurship and FASHUN – all our favourite things. *click photos to expand* It was a day of putting faces to Instagram handles and forging new friendships that we know…

MANAGING THE CHAOS: WHAT’S A MOM TO DO?

Forgive me followers, for I have slacked. It has been three weeks since my last blog post. What has befallen me is a deadly combination of kindergarten (in 17 days I have already received 8,000 school emails – one of which informed me of FUCKING LICE in the classroom and another alerted me to whooping…

THINGS THAT DIDN’T HAPPEN WHEN WE STARTED J.K.

I didn’t cry. Apparently you are supposed to? It’s fair to say I’m not an overly sensitive person, (although the odd baby-related commercial has been known to hydrate my eyeballs) but we were all so pumped and happy that I guess we forgot to be sentimental about the whole thing. Whoops? He didn’t cry.  Contrary…